transmited ligth and LSM

Maria Jimena Ortega Maria Jimena Ortega

transmited ligth and LSM

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hello everybody!

I`d like to ask you what I should expect from my LSM when trying to get transmited images...
Is somewhere in the web any image gallery you could recommend?
How much will DIC, Ph, etc improve?

Thanks a lot

Maria
Julio Vazquez Julio Vazquez

Re: transmited ligth and LSM

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal -
Hello Maria,

I think transmitted light images (including DIC and Phase) on a confocal will look pretty much the same as they would on a normal microscope.  The light path is reversed (illumination coming from the objective side, going though the sample, collected by the condenser, and detected on a PMT behind the condenser). These images will not be confocal.  On our LSM, DIC is actually very nice, better than on some of our other scopes, but I think it has to do with different implementations by different vendors.  We do not do phase on our confocals, so I can't comment much on that. I believe one can implement phase on a confocal, but I am not sure this is very widespread. Phase objectives have lower Numerical Apertures than their standard counterparts, and therefore are not ideal for fluorescence. DIC is more common, does not interfere with fluorescence imaging, and can substitute for Phase in most situations, except some special applications.

One important issue is that you need to have very stable lasers, otherwise you may see streaks or shading in your image. We improve our transmitted light images by averaging several frames.

Another issue is that confocals are generally used for the imaging of thick samples, while DIC and Phase work best with thin samples (such as cells). Transmitted light images of thick samples will generally not look very good, with Phase being the most sensitive probably. When imaging live cells and such on a confocal, however, you can have very nice DIC images in addition to your fluorescent channels.

Phase and DIC all use differences in refractive index to enhance contrast. This means that it works better with some samples (such as live cells in medium, where there are nice RI gradients between water and cell membranes, for instance), and not too well for others (such as fixed cells mounted in glycerol or other medium, where RI is very homogeneous).

What you can also do on a confocal, is reflected light, which uses the same confocal light path used for fluorescence (except that you detect the same wavelength band used for illumination). Works especially well for surfaces.

You can find more on this and related topics here:

and they have image galleries on various themes, such as DIC:

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

==

On Oct 30, 2007, at 5:26 AM, Maria Jimena Ortega wrote:

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hello everybody!

I`d like to ask you what I should expect from my LSM when trying to get transmited images...
Is somewhere in the web any image gallery you could recommend?
How much will DIC, Ph, etc improve?

Thanks a lot

Maria

Nowell, Cameron Nowell, Cameron

Re: transmited ligth and LSM

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hi Maria,
             We have two confocals in our facility that have DIC on them (an Olympus FV1000 and a Leica SP5). Both produce beuatiful DIC images (providing the prisims, filters etc are aligned properly). To be able to do transmitted light on a confocal it will need to have a transmitted light detector on it, these are usually seperate to the PMTs used for fluorecent imaging.

Also DIC will only be in focus in one plane of your image, you will not be able to get any confocal effect with DIC imaging.

I do not think phase would be able to work on a confocal due to the raster scanning pattern of the laser. Phase relies on difraction of a solid light beam.

Hope this helps. I can send you exapmle images of DIC captured on our systems if you want.

Cheers

Cam

Cameron Nowell
Microscopy Research and Imaging Facility
Cell Cycle and Development
Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre
7 St Andrews Place
East Melbourne, 3002
Victoria AUSTRALIA

Phone: +61396563759
Fax: +61396561411
[...]

This email (including any attachments) may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information and is
intended only to be read or used by the addressee. If you
are not the intended addressee, any use, distribution,
disclosure or copying of this email is strictly
prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this email
(including any attachments) are not waived or lost by
reason of its mistaken delivery to you.
If you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify us immediately by telephone or email. Peter
MacCallum Cancer Centre provides no guarantee that this
transmission is free of virus or that it has not been
intercepted or altered and will not be liable for any delay
in its receipt.

George McNamara George McNamara

Re: transmitted light and LSM

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi Maria,

The transmitted light images will look similar to what you see in the eyepiece. You should adjust the microscope for Koehler illumination. If your microscope has great DIC, like the current Leica SP5's, you will have great DIC on the computer, if your microscope has mediocre DIC, like my Axiovert 200M, you will have mediocre DIC. Phase contrast lenses are generally not as good in fluorescence as an  objective lens that does not have a phase ring - also the latter often have higher numerical aperture (brightness being proportional to NA to the 4th power).

You will probably need very low gain (I usually end up in the 200-260 V range on our LSM 510, and move the offset slider to make the scene darker. The transmitted light channel is also a handy way to see how stable - or not - your laser lines, AOTF, etc, are. Intensity tracks nicely with fluorescence specimens such as a Chroma plastic fluorescence slide, but without the possible issues of focus drift. Keep the PMT gain low!

Another valuable method is to use a reflected light (another term is "backscatter") channel. Set up a laser line to a PMT with appropriate dichroics and no emission filter (or a filter that transmits that line). You can:
* measure the coverglass thickness (need to account for its refractive index)
* coverglass-mounting medium interface location
* interference reflection contrast microscopy (IRM, aka RICM) image of cell-substratum interface - black spots are focal adhesion sites (see PubMed's Verschueren H.  1985 for details and related articles).
* (sometimes) reflections of plasma, organelle and nuclear membranes
* collagen and other fibers
* colloidal gold (I am looking forward to seeing how well it works with Nanoprobes's EnzMet products)
* medium-slide interface
Different laser lines will have different reflection patterns off the coverglass etc - if not wanted, they can sometimes be subtracted or otherwise digitally removed.

George
p.s. not transmitted light image, but I encourage everyone to check out my Halloween image http://www.nature.com/nprot/index.html Trick or treat! For those of you not familiar with Halloween, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween though frankly the holiday seems to be an excuse to sell more candy. Mexican culture has much more interesting holiday - see  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead
I also encourage everyone to submit images to the website - they used three of mine as images of the week in the past couple of months, so they may be pretty desperate. Tip: Submit the same size image as on the site. Payoff; besides 7 days of fame, you can add a line item to your C.V.

At 08:26 AM 10/30/2007, you wrote:
Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hello everybody!

I`d like to ask you what I should expect from my LSM when trying to get transmited images...
Is somewhere in the web any image gallery you could recommend?
How much will DIC, Ph, etc improve?

Thanks a lot

Maria

George McNamara, Ph.D.
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
Image Core
Miami, FL 33010
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
305-243-8436 office
http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/
http://home.earthlink.net/~geomcnamara/
http://www.sylvester.org/health_pro/shared_resources/index.asp (see Analytical Imaging Core Facility)

Julio's comments reminded me to mention that in transmitted light, a thin object will essentially disappear when in best focus. See Zernike 1955 Science 121: 345-349 ( http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/121/3141/345) for why and what it led to.

At 02:02 PM 10/30/2007, you wrote:
[...]

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/techniques/index.html

and they have image galleries on various themes, such as DIC:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/techniques/dic/dicgallery/index.html

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Seattle, WA 98109-1024

http://www.fhcrc.org/

==

[...]

xavier Sanjuan xavier Sanjuan

Re: transmited ligth and LSM

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hello Julio,

We can do both phase contrast and DIC in our Leica TCS SP2 system with 40x 1.25 and 63x 1.32 oil immersion objectives. I'm curious about what exactly do you mean with "DIC does not interfere with fluorescence". One of the polarizers used for DIC is set between the sample and the detector, so it is somehow interfering the fluorescence lightpath. At least in our system, using the same laser and PMT settings, a fluorescence image got with that polarizer in will be darker than with the polarizer out. That's the reason why when somebody wants to get DIC and fluorescence images of a sample, we let that polarizer out of the system, getting still a good "pseudo" DIC image (just empirical, I can't explain why still a DIC image is formed without one of the filters needed to do it)).

Bst regards,

Xavi.

___________________________________

Xavier Sanjuan
Servei de Microscòpia Confocal
Departament de Ciències Experimentals i de la Salut
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Parc de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona

Doctor Aiguader, 88 - Sala 309
08003 Barcelona - Spain

Tel.:  + 34 93 316 08 64
Fax: + 34 93 316 09 01
E-mail:
[hidden email]

Stefan Terjung Stefan Terjung

AW: transmited ligth and LSM

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Dear Xavier,

as the lasers are already polarized you don´t need the polarizer (between scanhead and objective lens) in when taking DIC images with your SP2 (but you still need the polarizer between condensor and transmission detector). So you already do the right thing by leaving it out, it´s not "pseudo" DIC. And I guess this is what Julio meant with "DIC does not interfere with fluorescence" (Ok still the DIC prism is in, but this doesn´t decrease the detected fluorescence intensity significantly).

regards,

Stefan

------------------------
Dr. Stefan Terjung
Advanced Light Microscopy Facility
EMBL Heidelberg
Meyerhofstr.1
D - 69117 Heidelberg
Phone +49(0)6221 387-8467

Rosemary.White Rosemary.White

Re: transmited ligth and LSM

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Re: transmited ligth and LSM We have trouble doing this on our SP2, because the polarity of the lasers has never been stable, drives us crazy.  So DIC images oscillate from light to dark and back again – within a single image.  The engineers have never been able to fix it.

The reason you can do DIC with only one polariser in the system is because the laser itself is polarised.  But if you have a Wollaston prism between scan head and specimen when collecting a fluorescence image, it will be degraded, because you’ll be able to detect the prism interacting with the beam – the image is scattered, reducing resolution.

Cheers,
rosemary

Dr Rosemary White               [hidden email]
CSIRO Plant Industry            ph.     02-6246 5475
GPO Box 1600                        fax.     02-6246 5334
Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia

On 31/10/07 9:02 PM, "xavier Sanjuan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Web: http://www.upf.edu/cexs/sct <http://www.upf.edu/cexs/sct>

Knecht, David Knecht, David

Re: transmited ligth and LSM

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal We also have problems with DIC on our SP2 which have never been fixed. In our case it is sometimes rings of light dark, and sometimes serious gradients across the field.   Dave

Dr. David Knecht
Co-head Flow Cytometry and Confocal Microscopy Facility
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-2200
860-486-4331 (fax)

On Oct 31, 2007, at 6:52 AM, Rosemary White wrote:

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal We have trouble doing this on our SP2, because the polarity of the lasers has never been stable, drives us crazy.  So DIC images oscillate from light to dark and back again – within a single image.  The engineers have never been able to fix it.

[...]

JOEL B. SHEFFIELD JOEL B. SHEFFIELD

Re: transmited ligth and LSM

Hi David,

We have no trouble with our SP2, except with a LWD 40 dry objective.
I think the issue of gradients is often one of a mismatch between the
Wollaston prism and the objective.

Also, check the settings of your condenser aperture.  On our system,
that aperture has a profound effect on the DIC images.

I find that there is greater fluctuation with our Argon laser than
with the HeNe green and red lasers.  Since we often use sequential
scan, I do the DIC image with the green laser source.

Joel

bin/wa?S1=confocal We also have problems with DIC on our SP2 which
have never been fixed. In our case it is sometimes rings of light
dark, and sometimes serious gradients across the field.  Dave
Dr. David Knecht
Co-head Flow Cytometry and Confocal Microscopy Facility
U-3125
91 N. Eagleville Rd.
University of Connecticut
Storrs, CT 06269
860-486-2200
860-486-4331 (fax)

On Oct 31, 2007, at 6:52 AM, Rosemary White wrote:

Joel B. Sheffield, Ph.D
Department of Biology
Temple University
Philadelphia, PA 19122
Voice: 215 204 8839
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: transmited ligth and LSM

You don't need a polarizer with laser light, so you should remove it when capturing images. It is there only for observation prior to image capture.

Judy

Judy Trogadis
Bio-Imaging Coordinator
St. Michael's Hospital, 7Queen
30 Bond St.
Toronto, ON M5B 1W8, Canada
ph:  416-864-6060  x6337
pager: 416-685-9219
fax: 416-864-6043
[hidden email]

>>> xavier Sanjuan <[hidden email]> 10/31/2007 6:02 AM >>>

Hello Julio,

We can do both phase contrast and DIC in our Leica TCS SP2 system with 40x
1.25 and 63x 1.32 oil immersion objectives. I'm curious about what exactly
do you mean with "DIC does not interfere with fluorescence". One of the
polarizers used for DIC is set between the sample and the detector, so it is
somehow interfering the fluorescence lightpath. At least in our system,
using the same laser and PMT settings, a fluorescence image got with that
polarizer in will be darker than with the polarizer out. That's the reason
why when somebody wants to get DIC and fluorescence images of a sample, we
let that polarizer out of the system, getting still a good "pseudo" DIC
image (just empirical, I can't explain why still a DIC image is formed
without one of the filters needed to do it)).

Bst regards,

Xavi.
___________________________________

Xavier Sanjuan
Servei de Microscopia Confocal
Departament de Ciencies Experimentals i de la Salut
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Parc de Recerca Biomedica de Barcelona
Doctor Aiguader, 88 - Sala 309
08003 Barcelona - Spain

Tel.:  + 34 93 316 08 64
Fax: + 34 93 316 09 01
E-mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.upf.edu/cexs/sct

    Maria
Judy Trogadis Judy Trogadis

Re: transmited ligth and LSM

We have just gone through this same problem with our own SP2 system. The
rings are there during brightfield observation at 10x and according to
the Leica people, cannot be eliminated. If you zoom even a little, the
rings will be out of the field of view. We decided not to answer
questions at 10x brightfield ;-)

The gradient issue could be due to misalignment of the fiber optic
detector.

wrote:

>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/
>> cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>> Hello Julio,
>>
>> We can do both phase contrast and DIC in our Leica TCS SP2 system
>> with 40x 1.25 and 63x 1.32 oil immersion objectives. I'm curious
>> about what exactly do you mean with "DIC does not interfere with
>> fluorescence". One of the polarizers used for DIC is set between
>> the sample and the detector, so it is somehow interfering the
>> fluorescence lightpath. At least in our system, using the same
>> laser and PMT settings, a fluorescence image got with that
>> polarizer in will be darker than with the polarizer out. That's
>> the reason why when somebody wants to get DIC and fluorescence
>> images of a sample, we let that polarizer out of the system,
>> getting still a good "pseudo" DIC image (just empirical, I can't
>> explain why still a DIC image is formed without one of the filters

>> needed to do it)).
>>
>> Bst regards,
>>
>> Xavi.
>> ___________________________________
>>
>> Xavier Sanjuan
>> Servei de Microscòpia Confocal
>> Departament de Ciències Experimentals i de la Salut
>> Universitat Pompeu Fabra
>> Parc de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona
>> Doctor Aiguader, 88 - Sala 309
>> 08003 Barcelona - Spain
>>
>> Tel.:  + 34 93 316 08 64
>> Fax: + 34 93 316 09 01
>> E-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Web: http://www.upf.edu/cexs/sct <http://www.upf.edu/cexs/sct>

[hidden email]

>>> Asunto: Re:  transmited ligth and LSM
>>>
>>> Search the CONFOCAL archive at  http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/
>>> cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal -
>>> Hello Maria,
>>>

>>> I think transmitted light images (including DIC and Phase) on a
>>> confocal  will look pretty much the same as they would on a
>>> normal microscope. The light  path is reversed (illumination
>>> coming from the objective side, going though  the sample,
>>> collected by the condenser, and detected on a PMT behind the
>>> condenser). These images will not be confocal. On our LSM, DIC is

>>> actually  very nice, better than on some of our other scopes, but

>>> I think it has to do  with different implementations by different

>>> vendors. We do not do phase on our  confocals, so I can't comment

>>> much on that. I believe one can implement phase  on a confocal,
>>> but I am not sure this is very widespread. Phase objectives  have

>>> lower Numerical Apertures than their standard counterparts, and
>>> therefore  are not ideal for fluorescence. DIC is more common,
>>> does not interfere with  fluorescence imaging, and can substitute

>>> for Phase in most situations, except  some special applications.
>>>

>>> One important issue is that you need to have very stable lasers,

>>> otherwise you may see streaks or shading in your image. We
>>> improve our  transmitted light images by averaging several frames.
>>>

>>> Another issue is that confocals are generally used for the
>>> imaging of  thick samples, while DIC and Phase work best with
>>> thin samples (such as  cells). Transmitted light images of thick
>>> samples will generally not look very  good, with Phase being the
>>> most sensitive probably. When imaging live cells  and such on a
>>> confocal, however, you can have very nice DIC images in addition

>>> to your fluorescent channels.
>>>

>>> Phase and DIC all use differences in refractive index to enhance

>>> contrast. This means that it works better with some samples (such

>>> as live  cells in medium, where there are nice RI gradients
>>> between water and cell  membranes, for instance), and not too
>>> well for others (such as fixed cells  mounted in glycerol or
>>> other medium, where RI is very homogeneous).
>>>

>>> What you can also do on a confocal, is reflected light, which
>>> uses the  same confocal light path used for fluorescence (except
>>> that you detect the  same wavelength band used for illumination).

>>> Works especially well for  surfaces.
>>>

>>> You can find more on this and related topics here:
>>>

>>> http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/techniques/index.html
>>>

>>> and they have image galleries on various themes, such as DIC:
>>>

>>> http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/techniques/dic/dicgallery/
>>> index.html
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Julio Vazquez
>>>
>>> Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
>>>
>>> Seattle, WA 98109-1024
>>>

>>> http://www.fhcrc.org/
>>>

>>> ==

Michael Weber-4 Michael Weber-4

Re: AW: transmited ligth and LSM

Hi Stefan,

in fact the DIC prism does interfer significantly with the image, it has
quite some impact at resolution. This can be easily observed with small
beads, already 500nm ones will look quite scattered.

On a Leica DMI6000 the DIC prisms can be located in an additional
turrent, which means you can acquire DIC (with prism in) sequentially to
fluorescence (with prism out).

cheers,
Michael