triple labeling with antibodies

Shalin Mehta Shalin Mehta

triple labeling with antibodies

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Dear all,

I am getting out of my depth about triple labeling with antibodies. We have three molecules that we want to label and see simultaneously with AF514, AF555 and AF633. We have decided to use goat, mouse and rabbit antibodies for three antigens. Now, it seems pretty straightforward to use e.g. horse anti-goat, horse anti-mouse and horse anti-rabbit secondary antibodies (I didn't know about the issue of cross reactivity.)  I noticed on Invitrogen website that they offer 'highly adsorbed' secondary antibodies (goat anti-mouse and goat anti-rabbit) for multiple labeling experiments. Does it mean that we should be safe using, e.g., horse anti-goat, highly adsorbed goat anti-rabbit and highly adsorbed goat anti-mouse? I am not sure what cross reactivity means and what logic dictates choice of secondary antibodies.
Any explanation will be helpful.

Thanks
Shalin

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shalin Mehta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
lechristophe lechristophe

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Dear Shalin,

I don't know about horse secondary antibodies, but I think you shouldn't use goat primary and goat secondary on the same sample, even if they're highly cross-adsorned. We routinely do triple labeling with goat/mouse/rabbit primary antibodies, using donkey secondary (donkey anti-goat, anti-mouse and anti-rabbit). Alternatively, we also use the rat/mouse/rabbit and chicken/mouse/rabbit combination with goat secondary antibodies.

As regards your spectral choice, what is the ratinale behind choosing 514 as the first color ? Is there a reason you don't want to use 488 ?

Christophe Leterrier

On Dec 13, 2007 8:58 AM, Shalin Mehta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Farid Jalali Farid Jalali

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hello Shalin,
I agree completely with Christophe's' comments. Something that our own lab has started to test for tri-labeling is the Zenon kit/product line from Invitrogen. You can generate your own primary conjugated antibodies quite easily. We often have primary antibodies from the same host that we would like to use together and this product is a very efficient way of doing this without having to search for an antibody from a different host that we would have to test. Labs with stronger ties to chemistry can actually find ways of doing this without this kit. What we have found is that the product most certainly works, but produces a slightly fainter signal.

Good Luck
Farid

On Dec 13, 2007 4:13 AM, Christophe Leterrier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Farid Jalali MSc
Senior Research Technician/ Lab Manager
Dr. Robert Bristow Lab
Applied Molecular Oncology
Princess Margaret Hospital
Toronto, Canada
416-946-4501 X4351 (Princess Margaret Hospital)
416-581-7754 STTARR at MaRS Building
416-581-7791 STTARR Microscopy Suite
Shalin Mehta Shalin Mehta

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rjpalmer rjpalmer

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Re: triple labeling with antibodies
Just a comment on the labeling - are you planning on labeling the secondaries yourself or are you purchasing labeled antibodies?  Have you tried primary IF?  Labeling antibodies with AF is not difficult, especially if you have a decent amount of IgG (mgs).  Regardless, I'd recommend that, if you don't have a sophisticated confocal detector together with a great AOTF or an AOBS (say a Zeiss Meta or Leica SP), you might be better off selecting a lower excitation wavelength for your 514 antibody.  The 514 line on mixed gas lasers is not very strong and you may have trouble getting good signal/noise from that probe if you use the 488 line or the 514 line for excitation.  Is there any reason why you can't use AF488?  Of course, you may have tried this all out before using single antibodies and it has not been a problem.  Good luck!  I love multiple antibody staining as an approach....

[...]

Robert J. Palmer Jr., Ph.D.
Natl Inst Dental Craniofacial Res - Natl Insts Health
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch
Bldg 30, Room 310
30 Convent Drive
Bethesda MD 20892
ph 301-594-0025
fax 301-402-0396
rjpalmer rjpalmer

fax 301-402-0396
Martin Wessendorf Martin Wessendorf

Shalin Mehta wrote:

> I am getting out of my depth about triple labeling with antibodies. We
> have three molecules that we want to label and see simultaneously with
> AF514, AF555 and AF633. We have decided to use goat, mouse and rabbit
> antibodies for three antigens. Now, it seems pretty straightforward to
> use e.g. horse anti-goat, horse anti-mouse and horse anti-rabbit
> secondary antibodies (I didn't know about the issue of cross
> reactivity.)  I noticed on Invitrogen website that they offer 'highly
> adsorbed' secondary antibodies (goat anti-mouse and goat anti-rabbit)
> for multiple labeling experiments. Does it mean that we should be safe
> using, e.g., horse anti-goat, highly adsorbed goat anti-rabbit and
> highly adsorbed goat anti-mouse? I am not sure what cross reactivity
> means and what logic dictates choice of secondary antibodies.
> Any explanation will be helpful.

Dear Shalin--

In triple-labeling, you have 3 primary antibodies, 3 secondary
antibodies, 3 fluorophores, and 3 sets of filters through which you're
viewing the fluorescence.

With regard to the antibodies: your secondary antibody (e.g., horse
anti-goat IgG) is supposed to recognize goat IgG so that it will bind to
your goat primary antibody.  However, suppose it also binds to mouse
IgG.  That would be an example of cross-reactivity by a secondary
antibody.

In principle, the horse anti-goat will bind to ANY goat IgG.  If you
happened to use (as in your example) goat anti-rabbit IgG combined with
the horse anti-goat IgG, the horse anti-goat would bind to the goat
anti-rabbit and you'd observe artifactual colocalization.  So that's a
bad idea.

In general, I'd recommend steering clear of secondary antibodies raised
in goat.  I've seen instances in which goat anti-rabbit IgG recognizes
goat IgG (!) and if such a reagent were used for multiple labeling,
you'd see a lot of artifactual colocalization.

I've had good luck with Jackson ImmunoResearch secondary antibodies.
Bill Stegeman, the owner, has a PhD in biochemistry and they are quite
good about cleaning up their secondary antibodies for use in
multiple-labeling.  --By "cleaning up", I mean doing something to remove
antibodies that might cross-react.  One way to do this would be (for
instance, in the case of a horse anti-rabbit IgG that you didn't want to
cross-react with mouse) to make a column to which mouse IgG was bound
and run your horse anti-rabbit IgG over it.  The "bad stuff" would bind
to the column and the "good stuff" would pass through.  This is probably
what Invitrogen also does to make their "highly absorbed" secondaries.

With regard to direct vs. indirect immunofluorescence--direct labeling
of your primary antibody is possible and isn't that hard, but you'll
want to recharacterize after conjugating it with the fluorophore to be
sure that it still acts the way it did before conjugation.  For that
reason alone, I'd suggest sticking with indirect immunofluorescence
(i.e. immunocytochemistry using secondary antibodies).  In addition,
it's a whole lot more flexible.  --Any particular reason why you want to
use the Alexa dyes?

--I wrote a couple boring and pedantic but fairly complete articles on
multiple labeling many years ago.  If you want to learn more about
characterizing these protocols, they make good bed-time reading:

Wessendorf, M.W., Appel, N.M., Molitor, T.W., and Elde, R.P.:  A method
for the immunofluorescent demonstration of three coexisting
neurotransmitters in rat brain and spinal cord, using the fluorophores
fluorescein, lissamine rhodamine , and 7-amino-4-methylcoumarin-3-acetic
acid.  Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry 38: 1859-1877, 1990.

Wessendorf, M.W.: "Characterization and use of multi-color fluorescence
microscopic techniques."  In: Björklund, A., Hökfelt, T., Wouterlood,
F.G., and van den Pol, A.N. , eds.  Handbook of Chemical Neuroanatomy
Vol. 8: Methods for the analysis of neuronal microcircuits and  synaptic
interactions,  1-45.  Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, New York,
Oxford, 1990.

There's also this one, in collaboration with Todd Brelje:
T. C. Brelje, M.W. Wessendorf, and R.L. Sorenson: "Multi-color laser
scanning confocal immunofluorescence microscopy: practical application
and limitations."  In: B. Matsumoto, ed.  Methods in Cell Biology,
Volume 38: Cell biological applications of confocal microscopy,  97-181,
Academic Press, New York, 1993.

Good luck!

Martin Wessendorf

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu
Jeremy Keith Brown Jeremy Keith Brown

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

We use FAB fragment - Primary antibody complexes if we need to perform
complex multiplex-labeling.

On their own...
Brown, J. K., A. D. Pemberton, S. H. Wright, and H. R. Miller. 2004.
Primary antibody-Fab fragment complexes: a flexible alternative to
traditional direct and indirect immunolabeling techniques. J Histochem
Cytochem 52:1219-1230.

or in combination with standard indirect ICC......
Brown, J. K., P. A. Knight, A. D. Pemberton, S. H. Wright, J. A. Pate,
E. M. Thornton, and H. R. Miller. 2004. Expression of integrin-alphaE
by mucosal mast cells in the intestinal epithelium and its absence in
nematode-infected mice lacking the transforming growth factor-beta1-
activating integrin alphavbeta6. The American journal of pathology
165:95-106.

We use usually use Jackson Immuno FAB fragments, but you can get Alexa
Fluor labelled FAB fragments from Invitrogen under the Zenon brand
name. That said, assuming you are not compromising your choice of
primaries by using mouse, rabbit and goat antibodies, invitrogen's
donkey Alexa Fluor conjugates will work well in the context you
describe and there should be minimal cross-reactivity between these
three species. However, if you have the choice, go for the highly
absorbed versions.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Dr Jeremy K Brown
The University of Edinburgh
Easter Bush Veterinary Centre
Easter Bush
Midlothian
EH25 9RG

Tel:  ++44 131 650 7348

On 13 Dec 2007, at 15:01, Martin Wessendorf wrote:

> [...]
> Publishers, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford, 1990.
>
> There's also this one, in collaboration with Todd Brelje:
> T. C. Brelje, M.W. Wessendorf, and R.L. Sorenson: "Multi-color laser
> scanning confocal immunofluorescence microscopy: practical
> application and limitations."  In: B. Matsumoto, ed.  Methods in
> Cell Biology, Volume 38: Cell biological applications of confocal
> microscopy,  97-181, Academic Press, New York, 1993.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Martin Wessendorf
>
> --
> Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
> Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
> University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
> 6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
> Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu

Stephen Bunnell Stephen Bunnell

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Re: triple labeling with antibodies We’ve had very good luck doing multicolor (3-4 colors) using CFP with Alexas 488, 568, and 647 on our fixed-dichroic spinning disc. In general, we’ve stuck with one host species for all of our secondary antibodies. That way we can easily pre-block secondary binding sites by supplementing with one whole serum corresponding to the species of origin for your secondaries. We tend to use the highly adsorbed goat-origin secondaries from Invitrogen/Mol Probes. Their isotype specific reagents are very good. We routinely do monoclonal IgG1 with either IgG2a or 1gG2b and a rabbit serum.

I have rarely had the pleasure of finding a primary goat antibody that was clean. Certain Ab suppliers shall not be named publicly...

No commercial interest!

    -Steve

On 12/13/07 2:58 AM, "Shalin Mehta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Stephen C. Bunnell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Tufts University Medical School
Department of Pathology
Jaharis Bldg., Room 512
150 Harrison Ave.
Boston, MA 02111

Phone: (617) 636-2174
Fax:   (617) 636-2990
Email: [hidden email]

SHIPPING ADDRESS (for packages):
Tufts University Receiving
37 Tyler St.
Attn: Bunnell/Pathology/Jaharis 524
Boston, MA 02111

Glen MacDonald-2 Glen MacDonald-2

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

Dear  Shalin,
I second recommendations from Stephan and Christophe.  Maybe you are
limited to laser laser lines (assume this is a confocal application),
but you should try for fluorophores as widely separable as possible
to maximize signal with minimal bleedthrough.  Avoid Alexa 594, it
will co-excite with the 633 and show up in the far red channel.  We
use AF 488, 568 and 647 or 660 routinely.  consider spinning the
secondaries for 10 min. at 10,000 rpm in a refrigerated centrifuge
then labeling with the supernate to avoid punctate sparklies over you
tissue.  The Image-iT fx  from Molecular Probes greatly reduces AF
non-specific tissue binding - this may be particularly important with
thicker samples.  And, always use negative controls for each of the
labels to assess background, autofluorescence and bleedthrough.

Regards,
Glen

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923  USA
(206) 616-4156
[hidden email]

******
The box said "Requires WindowsXP or better", so I bought a Macintosh.
******

On Dec 13, 2007, at 1:13 AM, Christophe Leterrier wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-
> bin/wa?S1=confocal
> Dear Shalin,
>
> I don't know about horse secondary antibodies, but I think you
> shouldn't use goat primary and goat secondary on the same sample,
> even if they're highly cross-adsorned. We routinely do triple
> labeling with goat/mouse/rabbit primary antibodies, using donkey
> secondary (donkey anti-goat, anti-mouse and anti-rabbit).
> Alternatively, we also use the rat/mouse/rabbit and chicken/mouse/
> rabbit combination with goat secondary antibodies.
>
> As regards your spectral choice, what is the ratinale behind
> choosing 514 as the first color ? Is there a reason you don't want
> to use 488 ?
>
> Christophe Leterrier
>

> On Dec 13, 2007 8:58 AM, Shalin Mehta < [hidden email]> wrote:
> Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-
> bin/wa?S1=confocal Dear all,
>

> I am getting out of my depth about triple labeling with antibodies.
> We have three molecules that we want to label and see
> simultaneously with AF514, AF555 and AF633. We have decided to use
> goat, mouse and rabbit antibodies for three antigens. Now, it seems
> pretty straightforward to use e.g. horse anti-goat, horse anti-
> mouse and horse anti-rabbit secondary antibodies (I didn't know
> about the issue of cross reactivity.)  I noticed on Invitrogen
> website that they offer 'highly adsorbed' secondary antibodies
> (goat anti-mouse and goat anti-rabbit) for multiple labeling
> experiments. Does it mean that we should be safe using, e.g., horse
> anti-goat, highly adsorbed goat anti-rabbit and highly adsorbed
> goat anti-mouse? I am not sure what cross reactivity means and what
> logic dictates choice of secondary antibodies.
> Any explanation will be helpful.
>
> Thanks
> Shalin
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Shalin Mehta
> Graduate Student in Bioengineering, NUS
> mobile: +65-90694182
> blog: shalin.wordpress.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rosemary.White Rosemary.White

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

I would also recommend trying fluorescently tagged Fab fragments instead of
full IgGs as secondary labels.

In immunofluorescence on plant tissue, particularly if you are doing
something like immunolabelling of carbohydrates on cereals (as we have been
lately), there is sometimes rather high background with fluorescent IgGs as
secondaries.  The explanation I've heard is that the animals in which the
secondaries are raised also produce antibodies to certain components of the
food they eat, which is usually plant material of some sort, often a cereal
grain.  Cereals are particularly good at inducing an auto-immune response -
gluten is the classic example.

With Fab secondaries, we get very clean labelling, I guess this would also
be true on animal/human tissues.

cheers,
rosemary

Rosemary White                    [hidden email]
CSIRO Plant Industry            ph.     61 (0)2-6246 5475
GPO Box 1600                       fax.     61 (0)2-6246 5334
Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia

On 14/12/07 2:48 AM, "Jeremy Keith Brown" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> Publishers, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford, 1990.
>>
>> There's also this one, in collaboration with Todd Brelje:
>> T. C. Brelje, M.W. Wessendorf, and R.L. Sorenson: "Multi-color laser
>> scanning confocal immunofluorescence microscopy: practical
>> application and limitations."  In: B. Matsumoto, ed.  Methods in
>> Cell Biology, Volume 38: Cell biological applications of confocal
>> microscopy,  97-181, Academic Press, New York, 1993.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Martin Wessendorf
>>
>> --
>> Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
>> Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
>> University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
>> 6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
>> Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu

Shalin Mehta Shalin Mehta

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Many thanks to all for comments, recommendations and explanations (especially Martin).

We are going to use Zeiss META system equipped with Argon ion multi-line and green & red HeNe lines. I thought AF514, AF555 and AF633 got very close to available lasers (514nm, 543nm and 632.5nm) and GFP will work with 488nm. Regarding Martin's question about why we want to use alexa dyes - I am under impression that they are one of the brightest and (more importantly for spectral imaging) their spectra are quite pH insensitive. I don't have very stable hands for wet lab, so robust dyes would be good :-). But if others have had better results with other dyes using 488,514,543 and 633nm lines, it will be helpful to consider them.

We were considering purchase goat polyclonal for our antigen, but it seems we will be better off with rat polyclonal and using highly-adsorbed goat secondaries against rabbit,mouse and rat. Zenon kit and Fab fragments also look useful, but will need to read up on them.

cheers
shalin

On Dec 14, 2007 4:40 AM, Rosemary White <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Publishers, Amsterdam, New York, Oxford, 1990.
>>
>> There's also this one, in collaboration with Todd Brelje:
>> T. C. Brelje, M.W. Wessendorf, and R.L. Sorenson: "Multi-color laser
>> scanning confocal immunofluorescence microscopy: practical
>> application and limitations."  In: B. Matsumoto, ed.  Methods in
>> Cell Biology, Volume 38: Cell biological applications of confocal
>> microscopy,  97-181, Academic Press, New York, 1993.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Martin Wessendorf
>>
>> --
>> Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
>> Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
>> University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
>> 6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
>> Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Morrison, Ian E Morrison, Ian E

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

Fab fragments are a good idea, but getting them can be very time-consuming and expensive.  Some companies offer this service, but the quality is highly variable - naming no names, we've had some total failures to produce labelled Fab that still binds.  In our own laboratory, producing Fab from IgG varies enormously; MHC class II works well, CD74 seems to be impossible.  You need to make a number of test runs with variable conditions, so shedloads of IgG may be required.

If you have to use a 514nm excitation, can I put in a word for Oregon Green 514 (no commercial interest).  This can label whole antibody up to ~25probes per IgG with no self-quenching, and on the samples we made using MHC antibodies there was no aggregation and the binding was only slightly compromised.

Ian

----------------------------Dr. I.E.G.Morrison       {[hidden email]}--------------------------
                            Dept.Biological Sciences, University of Essex
                            Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ
----------------------------Tel: 01206-872246           Fax: 01206-872592--------------------------
xavier Sanjuan xavier Sanjuan

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
Hi Shalin,

tough I have used AF633 and AF647 with success, Invitrogen people I have talked with tend to recommend AF647 over AF633 as the fluorophore of choice in the range of far red.

Xavi.

___________________________________

Xavier Sanjuan
Servei de Microscòpia Confocal
Departament de Ciències Experimentals i de la Salut
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Parc de Recerca Biomèdica de Barcelona

Doctor Aiguader, 88 - Sala 309
08003 Barcelona - Spain

Tel.:  + 34 93 316 08 64
Fax: + 34 93 316 09 01
E-mail:
[hidden email]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shalin Mehta wrote:

> We were considering purchase goat polyclonal for our antigen, but it
> seems we will be better off with rat polyclonal and using
> highly-adsorbed goat secondaries against rabbit,mouse and rat. Zenon kit
> and Fab fragments also look useful, but will need to read up on them.

There are many different ways of getting satisfactory labeling.  My own
recipe for triple-labeling uses Cy2, Red-X (or Cy3, depending on the
experiment) and Cy5 secondaries (--I don't use Fab fragments) from
Jackson ImmunoResearch that have been cleaned up for minimal
cross-reactivity.  (--though you do NOT want to use anti-mouse with
minimal cross-reactivity against rat unless you have to use rat as the
source for one of your other primaries.  Rat and mouse are
immunologically so close that cleaning up against one takes a big bite
out of the labeling intensity for the other.)  I'd use the Cy2-labeled
secondary in combination with your strongest primary, since the Cy2
signal is a bit weaker than the others.  I would then run the tissue
through alcohols and mount in DPX, which gives you a permanent, dry
mount.  (I like DPX for those features.)  I've heard others say that
they get rapid photobleaching with DPX but I have tissue mounted in it
that's been sitting by my microscope for almost 15 years and that I use
periodically as test-slides.  If you don't blast it with high
illumination power at 60x, the labeling lasts just fine.

Why do you need spectral imaging if you're just looking at dead tissue
or cells and the dyes are as well separated as you're describing?  Or is
this for when you throw GFP  into the mix?

Good luck!

Martin
--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu
Jeremy Keith Brown Jeremy Keith Brown

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

If you do go down the route anti-mouse/anti-rat route you will face
cross-reactivity issues. As Martin says, mouse cross-absorbed anti-rat
polyclonal (and vice versa) secondaries aren't great, even from
Jackson. However, there are some very good mouse anti-rat monoclonals
available (try Serotec, BD or SouthernBiotech) which if used in the
right order will work for you. Basically you need to label you samples
sequentially: mouse and rabbit primaries; then goat anti-mouse and
anti-rabbit secondaries; then incubate the samples with 10% normal
mouse serum to block any free goat anti-mouse paratopes; then your rat
primary (in 10% mouse serum) followed by the mouse anti-rat secondary
(in 10% mouse serum). Alternatively, you could indirectly label the
sample with the rat and rabbit primaries, block with mouse serum and
then come in with the mouse primary labeled with your choice of Alexa
flour conjugated Zenon FAB fragments. Obviously, you will need single
positive controls for each primary to confirm you're not just
detecting spurious cross-reactivity.

Ella Tour Ella Tour

Re: triple labeling with antibodies

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Re: triple labeling with antibodies
Dear Confocalists,

Our lab has been getting very good results and no detectable cross-reactivity doing quadruple RNA/DNA/protein stains with the following antibody scheme:
Primary antibodies: mouse, sheep, rabbit, guinea pig
Secondary antibodies: Alexa 488, 555, 594, 647-conjugated anti-mouse, anti-sheep, anti-rabbit and anti-guin. pig, all produced in donkey. Donkey-anti-guinea pig needs to be custom-made (getting donkey anti-rabbit from Jackson, then having Invitrogen put Alexa fluor on it).
This combination was developed by Dave Kosman in our lab, details can be found here: http://superfly.ucsd.edu/%7Edavek/

As mentioned in previous responses, cross-reactivity can often be seen when one works with primaries and secondaries from closely related species. One example that we've repeatedly encountered is the following bad combo: using together donkey anti-sheep and goat-anti-whatever secondary antibodies results in donkey anti-sheep antibodies recognizing  the goat secondaries. On the other hand we've observed no cross-reactivity when detecting mouse and rat primary antibodies, using secondary antibodies (Molecular Probes) which were cross-absorbed against rat and mouse, respectively.
We mount our speciments in Prolong.

I was wondering if anybody has compared Alexa fluorophores against the other commercially available fluorophores, such as Cy3, Cy5, etc in confocal microscopy?

No commercial interest.

Best wishes,

Ella Tour

Shalin Mehta wrote:
[...]

Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, 0349
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, 4305 Bonner Hall
La Jolla, CA  92093-0349
Phone 858-822-0461
FAX 858-822-0460
email: [hidden email]
Koo, Lily (NIH/NIAID) [E] Koo, Lily (NIH/NIAID) [E]

Microscopist Job Posting - NIH

Summary

Lockheed Martin Management Systems Designers, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lockheed Martin, Inc., is comprised of over 700 professionals who support the diverse technical, scientific, and administrative needs of the Federal Government. Since 1980, we have been providing our public and private sector clients with top-quality information technology (IT), business management, and scientific solutions. Working in partnership with our Civilian Government, national security, and life sciences clients, we deliver innovative, on-target solutions that support our clients' vital missions, goals, and objectives. Among our proven capabilities are systems design, development, and integration; systems engineering; application support, IT infrastructure management; professional services; management consulting; and specialized health and bioinformatics services.

We are currently searching for a Microscopist to support the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a permanent, full-time position with Lockheed Martin-MSD and it is on-site at NIH in Bethesda, MD.

Major Duties and Responsibilities

Assist with the operation of the confocal microscopes as well as perform image analysis and quantification, instrument calibration, data archiving, and evaluation of new software and hardware.
Learn new application and software as needed and assist with software/hardware upgrades.
Assess user's needs and assist with microscope set-up and operation, image processing, quantitative analysis, and the preparation of figures for publication.

Position Requirements

§         Ph.D. in Biology or other related scientific field.

§         Familiarity with general light microscopy techniques (such as immunofluorescence, DIC, image capture) and image processing software is required.

§         Extensive experience with confocal microscopy is required.

§         Formal training in microscopy and sample preparation is highly preferred.

§         Excellent verbal and written communication skills.

§         Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.

Please submit CVs and salary requirements to Margaret Hishmeh at

[hidden email]