First commercial single point confocal

Zarda, Boris Zarda, Boris

First commercial single point confocal

Dear all,

one of my customers asked me the question about what was the first
commercial single point scanner. I was much tempted to answer straight away
with "Biorad", but the longer I think about it the more I am in doubt. At
that time I was in my (microscopic) larvae stage and I am not sure to have
the time scale right. And I would like to give the correct answer unbiased
by company or geographic issues.

Your input would be much appreciated

Boris

Boris Zarda
Dr. rer. nat.
Sales Manager Research Switzerland

Leica Microsystems (Schweiz) AG
Verkaufsgesellschaft
Max Schmidheiny-Strasse 201
CH-9435 Heerbrugg
Tel  +41 44 768 36 30
Fax +41 71 726 34 44

Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: First commercial single point confocal

I'm sure you are right about the Bio-Rad in
principle, but it wasn't the well-known MRC
500, but the very different SOM 100.  In fact
so far as I can find out the first microscope
advertised for sale was by Oxford Optoelectronics
but I believe that before the first one was
delivered the design had been taken over by a company
called Dubilier, who were thus the first to actually
sell one.  Dubilier was then bought by Polaron
who in turn were taken over by Bio-Rad.

The SOM 100 was a stage-scanning machine using a
He-Ne laser and was intended for reflection imaging,
so it found little use in biology.  Bio-Rad soon
dumped it in favour of Brad Amos' MRC design, which
had biological imaging as its first priority.  This
caused some grief to the Oxford team who had developed
the SOM - and just to rub salt into the wound it was
a design from Cambridge which supplanted it!

                                              Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net
one of my customers asked me the question about what was the first commercial single point scanner. I was much tempted to answer straight away with "Biorad", but the longer I think about it the more I am in doubt. At that time I was in my (microscopic) larvae stage and I am not sure to have the time scale right. And I would like to give the correct answer unbiased by company or geographic issues.

Your input would be much appreciated

Boris

Boris Zarda
Dr. rer. nat.
Sales Manager Research Switzerland

Leica Microsystems (Schweiz) AG
Verkaufsgesellschaft
Max Schmidheiny-Strasse 201
CH-9435 Heerbrugg
Tel  +41 44 768 36 30
Fax +41 71 726 34 44

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Michael Cammer Michael Cammer

Re: First commercial single point confocal

What was the vintage of the Sarastro(sp?)?  Or is this the SOM 100.  At
least now I have an idea where the name of the SOM software we used on the
BioRad came from.  Thanks!
-mc

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> I'm sure you are right about the Bio-Rad in
> principle, but it wasn't the well-known MRC
> 500, but the very different SOM 100.  In fact
> so far as I can find out the first microscope
> advertised for sale was by Oxford Optoelectronics
> but I believe that before the first one was
> delivered the design had been taken over by a company
> called Dubilier, who were thus the first to actually
> sell one.  Dubilier was then bought by Polaron
> who in turn were taken over by Bio-Rad.
>
> The SOM 100 was a stage-scanning machine using a
> He-Ne laser and was intended for reflection imaging,
> so it found little use in biology.  Bio-Rad soon
> dumped it in favour of Brad Amos' MRC design, which
> had biological imaging as its first priority.  This
> caused some grief to the Oxford team who had developed
> the SOM - and just to rub salt into the wound it was
> a design from Cambridge which supplanted it!
>
>                                               Guy
>
> Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
> by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
>     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
> Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
> Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
> University of Sydney, NSW 2006
> Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
> Mobile 0413 281 861
>      http://www.guycox.net

Michael Cammer   http://www.aecom.yu.edu/aif/
Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: First commercial single point confocal

I have in front of me an advert for the
SOM 100 Lasersharp from Bio-Rad (Polaron
Division).  Some names persisted a long
time!  This was early 1987 - the MRC 500
was launched later that year.  This was
the Oxford design from Colin Sheppard and
Tony Wilson, which had been on the market
on a small scale for a few years before that.

Both Sarastro (Kjell Carlsson's design), later
to be Molecular Dynamics, and Heidelberg
Instruments (later to become part of Leica)
were not far behind.

                               Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net
What was the vintage of the Sarastro(sp?)?  Or is this the SOM 100.  At least now I have an idea where the name of the SOM software we used on the BioRad came from.  Thanks!
-mc

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> I'm sure you are right about the Bio-Rad in principle, but it wasn't
> the well-known MRC 500, but the very different SOM 100.  In fact so
> far as I can find out the first microscope advertised for sale was by
> Oxford Optoelectronics but I believe that before the first one was
> delivered the design had been taken over by a company called Dubilier,
> who were thus the first to actually sell one.  Dubilier was then
> bought by Polaron who in turn were taken over by Bio-Rad.
>
> The SOM 100 was a stage-scanning machine using a He-Ne laser and was
> intended for reflection imaging, so it found little use in biology.
> Bio-Rad soon dumped it in favour of Brad Amos' MRC design, which had
> biological imaging as its first priority.  This caused some grief to
> the Oxford team who had developed the SOM - and just to rub salt into
> the wound it was a design from Cambridge which supplanted it!
>
>                                               Guy
>
> Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
> by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
>     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
> Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon) Electron Microscope Unit,
> Madsen Building F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006
> Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
> Mobile 0413 281 861
>      http://www.guycox.net

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Martin Wessendorf Martin Wessendorf

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Guy et al--

I think that prior to either of these, there was a non-laser scanning
instrument featuring a single eyepiece (!) and probably the least
ergonomic design of any microscope.  It was made by a company in
Wisconsin, USA, but unfortunately I can no longer remember the name!
However, I do remember that they got the cover of Science in (if I'm
correct) 1986 showing a picture of a Golgi-stained cerebellar Purkinje cell.

Martin

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu
Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Yes, but that was a spinning-disk system.  The query
was about point scanners.  Mojimir Petran's 'Tandem
Scanning  Microscope' was made in small numbers
by a tractor maker (!) in Czechoslovakia.  I believe
Alan Boyde was the first customer.  It had, as you
say, a single vertical eyepiece.  Tracor-Northern in
Madison (now Thermo Noran, I think)  took out a licence
and soon added a proper binocular head (not really hard
to do).  It was supported by their TN 8502 Image
Analysis system and you could do some quite neat
things with the combination, like taking a stereo pair
without needing to acquire an image stack.

Mind you, last time I used a modern Perkin Elmer
spinning disk system the eyepiece for the direct
ocular view was still single and very inconvenient!
I guess they don't think people will use it.

--
Martin Wessendorf, Ph.D.                   office: (612) 626-0145
Assoc Prof, Dept Neuroscience                 lab: (612) 624-2991
University of Minnesota             Preferred FAX: (612) 624-8118
6-145 Jackson Hall, 321 Church St. SE    Dept Fax: (612) 626-5009
Minneapolis, MN  55455             E-mail: martinw[at]med.umn.edu

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Eric Scarfone Eric Scarfone

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Hey
if one stick to laser (point) scanning I'd say 1)BioRad; 2)Sarastro;
3)Leica in order of appearance. With BioRad being one generation ahead
of the others. I actually saw the fisrt prototype of the MRC 500 in Brad
Amos's lab who was still using it back in '91.
Eric

Eric Scarfone, PhD, CNRS,
Center for Hearing and communication Research
Department of Clinical Neuroscience
Karolinska Institutet

Postal Address:
CFH, M1:02
Karolinska Hospital,
SE-171 76 Stockholm, Sweden

Work:  +46 (0)8-517 70343,
Cell:  +46 (0)70 888 2352
Fax:   +46 (0)8-301876

email:  [hidden email]
http://www.ki.se/cfh/

> one of my customers asked me the question about what was the first
> commercial single point scanner. I was much tempted to answer
> straight away
> with "Biorad", but the longer I think about it the more I am in
> doubt. At
> that time I was in my (microscopic) larvae stage and I am not sure
> to have
> the time scale right. And I would like to give the correct answer
> unbiasedby company or geographic issues.
>
> Your input would be much appreciated
>
> Boris
>
> Boris Zarda
> Dr. rer. nat.
> Sales Manager Research Switzerland
>
> Leica Microsystems (Schweiz) AG
> Verkaufsgesellschaft
> Max Schmidheiny-Strasse 201
> CH-9435 Heerbrugg
> Tel  +41 44 768 36 30
> Fax +41 71 726 34 44

Barbara Foster Barbara Foster

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi, Martin

Was that Meridian?  If so, it was an interesting instrument because in addition to doing confocal imaging it did laser ablation.  They sold a special form of growth medium that was especially sensitive to one of the laser lines.  It enabled you to grow cells in culture then either "zap" cells that you did not want to see or to cut out "islands" of cells that you wanted to harvest/view.

By the way, the first single point laser scanner I remember is also the SOM.  I remember collecting a short file on it while working at Cambridge Instruments around 1986-87.

Best regards,
Barbara Foster, President

We've moved!
Microscopy/Microscopy Education
7101 Royal Glen Trail, Suite A
McKinney TX 75070
P: (972)924-5310
Skype: fostermme
W: www.MicroscopyEducation.com

MME is now scheduling customized, on-site courses through December.  Call us today for details.

P. S.
Need a good general reference or light microscopy text for next semester? Call us today to learn more about "Optimizing LIght Microscopy".  Copies still available through MME... even for class-room lots ... and we give quantity discounts. Just call us here in the MME office for details.

Guy Cox wrote:
[...]

Nina Allen Nina Allen

Re: First commercial single point confocal

And the Traco-Northern spinning disk gave good images.
It had several problems however.  One was low intensity so you needed
Bright fluorescence.  The other was stability ...

Nina Allen

On 11/6/07 1:30 AM, "Guy Cox" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Yes, but that was a spinning-disk system.  The query
> was about point scanners.  Mojimir Petran's 'Tandem
> Scanning  Microscope' was made in small numbers
> by a tractor maker (!) in Czechoslovakia.  I believe
> Alan Boyde was the first customer.  It had, as you
> say, a single vertical eyepiece.  Tracor-Northern in
> Madison (now Thermo Noran, I think)  took out a licence
> and soon added a proper binocular head (not really hard
> to do).  It was supported by their TN 8502 Image
> Analysis system and you could do some quite neat
> things with the combination, like taking a stereo pair
> without needing to acquire an image stack.
>
> Mind you, last time I used a modern Perkin Elmer
> spinning disk system the eyepiece for the direct
> ocular view was still single and very inconvenient!
> I guess they don't think people will use it.
>
>                                             Guy
>

> Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
> by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
>   http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
> Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
> Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
> University of Sydney, NSW 2006
> Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
> Mobile 0413 281 861
>    http://www.guycox.net

Nina Stromgren Allen
Professor of Plant Biology
Director, Cellular and Molecular Imaging Facility
Past Chair of the Faculty
Department of Plant Biology
Box 7612
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7612
Phone: 919-515-8382, 3525
Fax:  919-515-3436
Wiegraebe, Winfried Wiegraebe, Winfried

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Re: First commercial single point confocal

How do the Zeiss laser scanning and confocal microscopes fit into this history?
According to their web-page they had 1982 the first commercial laser scanning microscope (not confocal), the LSM 44 and 1988 a confocal system (the LSM 10).

Winfried

Winfried Wiegraebe, Ph.D.
Dir. of Advanced Instrumentation & Physics
Stowers Institute for Medical Research
1000 E. 50th St, Rm 454b
Kansas City, MO 64110
USA

Phone: (816) 926-4415
Cell:     (816) 824-0287
Fax:     (816) 926-2088
Email:  [hidden email]
Web:    www.stowers-institute.org
http://research.stowers-institute.org/wiw/

Patrick Van Oostveldt Patrick Van Oostveldt

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Dear,

As far as my memory is correct we recieved the first commercial MRC500
confocal in Europe. Feb 1988. At that time some prototypes of Leica
were also displayed in EMBL. The EMBL system even had no possibility
to use conventional object observation and hence you needed a rather
blind imaging. Quite difficult if you have to look and search your
object with alone confocal illumination and slowscanning.
Andrew Dixon, was than the most important person at BIORAD, probably
he has some  exact dates.

As they told me the MRC500 was presented to the public in dec 1987 at
the american cell biology meeting.
Am I correct?

Patrick

Quoting "Wiegraebe, Winfried" <[hidden email]>:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> How do the Zeiss laser scanning and confocal microscopes fit into this
> history?
> According to their web-page they had 1982 the first commercial laser
> scanning microscope (not confocal), the LSM 44 and 1988 a confocal
> system (the LSM 10).
> Winfried

> --
> Winfried Wiegraebe, Ph.D.
> Dir. of Advanced Instrumentation & Physics
> Stowers Institute for Medical Research
> 1000 E. 50th St, Rm 454b
> Kansas City, MO 64110
> USA
>
> Phone: (816) 926-4415
> Cell:     (816) 824-0287
> Fax:     (816) 926-2088
> Email:  [hidden email]
> Web:    www.stowers-institute.org
> http://research.stowers-institute.org/wiw/

--
Dep. Moleculaire Biotechnologie
Coupure links 653

tel 09 264 5969
fax 09 264 6219
James Pawley James Pawley

Re: First commercial single point confocal

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>What was the vintage of the Sarastro(sp?)?  Or is this the SOM 100.  At
>least now I have an idea where the name of the SOM software we used on the
>BioRad came from.  Thanks!
>-mc

Sarastro, later sold to Molecular Dynamics, was also very early and
might have sold in Sweden before the SOM-100.  The patent was filed
in Canada 3/5/1985 and in US 2/212/1985. Sweden was presumably
earlier. The person who would know in Kjell Carlsson who designed it
but is no longer in the field.

Jim P.

>  > Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>>  http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>>  I'm sure you are right about the Bio-Rad in
>>  principle, but it wasn't the well-known MRC
>>  500, but the very different SOM 100.  In fact
>>  so far as I can find out the first microscope
>>  advertised for sale was by Oxford Optoelectronics
>>  but I believe that before the first one was
>>  delivered the design had been taken over by a company
>>  called Dubilier, who were thus the first to actually
>>  sell one.  Dubilier was then bought by Polaron
>>  who in turn were taken over by Bio-Rad.
>>
>>  The SOM 100 was a stage-scanning machine using a
>>  He-Ne laser and was intended for reflection imaging,
>>  so it found little use in biology.  Bio-Rad soon
>>  dumped it in favour of Brad Amos' MRC design, which
>>  had biological imaging as its first priority.  This
>>  caused some grief to the Oxford team who had developed
>>  the SOM - and just to rub salt into the wound it was
>>  a design from Cambridge which supplanted it!
>>
>>                                                Guy
>>
>>  Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
>>  by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
>>      http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
>>  ______________________________________________
>>  Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
>>  Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
>>  University of Sydney, NSW 2006
>>  ______________________________________________
>>  Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
>>  Mobile 0413 281 861
>>  ______________________________________________
>>       http://www.guycox.net

Prof. James B. Pawley,                 Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research Building,                         FAX  608-262-9083
250 N. Mills St., Madison, WI, 53706  [hidden email]
"A scientist is not one who can answer questions but one who can
question answers."  Theodore Schick Jr., Skeptical Enquirer, 21-2:39
Kevin W Eliceiri Kevin W Eliceiri

Re: First commercial single point confocal

In 2003 Brad Amos and John White wrote a review for the Journal of Biology of the Cell entitled "How the Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope. entered Biological Research" that covers the history of the MRC500 development and timeline of other confocal developments. This is freely available at:

www.biolcell.org/boc/095/0335/boc0950335.pdf

In this review they state that one of the first public showings of their prototype was at
the Symposium of the International Society for Analytical Cytology in Cambridge, UK, in 1987.

Kevin W. Eliceiri
Director
Laboratory for Optical and Computational Instrumentation
http://www.loci.wisc.edu
Room 271 Animal Sciences
1675 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Phone: 608-263-6288
Fax: 608-262-4570

> As far as my memory is correct we recieved the first commercial MRC500
>
> confocal in Europe. Feb 1988. At that time some prototypes of Leica
> were also displayed in EMBL. The EMBL system even had no possibility
>
> to use conventional object observation and hence you needed a rather
>
> blind imaging. Quite difficult if you have to look and search your
> object with alone confocal illumination and slowscanning.
> Andrew Dixon, was than the most important person at BIORAD, probably
>
> he has some  exact dates.
>
> As they told me the MRC500 was presented to the public in dec 1987 at
>
> the american cell biology meeting.
> Am I correct?
>
> Patrick
>
> Quoting "Wiegraebe, Winfried" <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Search the CONFOCAL archive at
> > http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
> >
> > How do the Zeiss laser scanning and confocal microscopes fit into this
> > history?
> > According to their web-page they had 1982 the first commercial laser
> > scanning microscope (not confocal), the LSM 44 and 1988 a confocal
> > system (the LSM 10).
> > Winfried

> > --
> > Winfried Wiegraebe, Ph.D.
> > Dir. of Advanced Instrumentation & Physics
> > Stowers Institute for Medical Research
> > 1000 E. 50th St, Rm 454b
> > Kansas City, MO 64110
> > USA
> >
> > Phone: (816) 926-4415
> > Cell:     (816) 824-0287
> > Fax:     (816) 926-2088
> > Email:  [hidden email]
> > Web:    www.stowers-institute.org
> > http://research.stowers-institute.org/wiw/
> >

> --
> Dep. Moleculaire Biotechnologie
> Coupure links 653
> B 9000 GENT
>
> tel 09 264 5969
> fax 09 264 6219
Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: First commercial single point confocal

We had this discussion in this list 9 years ago and I said
then that the SOM 100 was on sale a year before the Sarastro
Phoibos, and the Oxford Optoelectronics / Dubilier machine
was on sale well before that (obviously, since it was the
predecessor of the SOM).  According to the Encyclopedia of
Optical Engineering By Ronald G. Driggers "the first
commercial confocal microscope was launched by Oxford
Optoelectronics in 1982".  This is well before Sarastro
had even filed their patents.

In an historical review, Biology of the Cell 95, 335-342
(2003) Brad Amos and JG White describe the Kjell Carlsson's
Sarastro Phoibos as appearing at the same time as their MRC
500.

                                                   Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
    http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Electron Microscope Unit, Madsen Building F09,
University of Sydney, NSW 2006
Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
Mobile 0413 281 861
     http://www.guycox.net
>What was the vintage of the Sarastro(sp?)?  Or is this the SOM 100.  At
>least now I have an idea where the name of the SOM software we used on
>the BioRad came from.  Thanks!
>-mc

Sarastro, later sold to Molecular Dynamics, was also very early and might have sold in Sweden before the SOM-100.  The patent was filed in Canada 3/5/1985 and in US 2/212/1985. Sweden was presumably earlier. The person who would know in Kjell Carlsson who designed it but is no longer in the field.

Jim P.

>  > Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>>  http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
>>
>>  I'm sure you are right about the Bio-Rad in  principle, but it
>> wasn't the well-known MRC  500, but the very different SOM 100.  In
>> fact  so far as I can find out the first microscope  advertised for
>> sale was by Oxford Optoelectronics  but I believe that before the
>> first one was  delivered the design had been taken over by a company
>> called Dubilier, who were thus the first to actually  sell one.
>> Dubilier was then bought by Polaron  who in turn were taken over by
>> Bio-Rad.
>>
>>  The SOM 100 was a stage-scanning machine using a  He-Ne laser and
>> was intended for reflection imaging,  so it found little use in
>> biology.  Bio-Rad soon  dumped it in favour of Brad Amos' MRC design,
>> which  had biological imaging as its first priority.  This  caused
>> some grief to the Oxford team who had developed  the SOM - and just
>> to rub salt into the wound it was  a design from Cambridge which
>> supplanted it!
>>
>>                                                Guy
>>
>>  Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
>>  by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
>>      http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
>>  Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)  Electron Microscope
>> Unit, Madsen Building F09,  University of Sydney, NSW 2006
>>  Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
>>  Mobile 0413 281 861
>>  ______________________________________________
>>       http://www.guycox.net

Shalin Mehta Shalin Mehta

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Dear All,

I got to know some more history from Colin (who was instrumental in establishing Oxford optoelectronics). It turns out that the first commercial point scanning confocal was prototyped ca. 1975 in Oxford which eventually became SOM-25. SOM-100 was preceded by SOM-25. They sold couple of them to semiconductor developers (texas instruments and perhaps intel) that were interested in studying surface defects.

On the list there was discussion about origin of the term 'confocal' sometime back.  These interesting chronological details transpired during our discussion...

1940: Goldman used slit to obtain 'sections' in opthalmic scope... It also employed idea of illuminationg and detecting the signal at different angles (termed angular gating) to get rid of stray light (a la dark-field ?!)  (Goldman H., Spaltlampenphotographie undphotometrie. Opthalmologica 98, 257-270)

1943: Z Koana from University of Tokyo publishes (in Japanese) idea of point illumination and point detection using lamp+pin-hole and photodetector+pin-hole. Pin-holes were meant to get rid of stray light during spectrophotometry.

1955: Hiroto Naora (Koana's junior collegue) publishes results based on this method...(H. Naora, Microspectrophotometry of cell nucleus stained by Feulgen reaction I. Microspectrophotometric apparatus without Schwarzschild-Villiger effect, <a href="javascript:AL_get(this, &#39;jour&#39;, &#39;Exp Cell Res.&#39;);">Exp Cell Res. 1955 Apr;8(2):259-78.)

The S-V effect dealt with in this paper is stray reflections. Fig.3 of this paper (at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WFC-4DYV56H-26&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F1955&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=72a34fa8ece505094e6000c56a87de82 )
shows the apparatus.

1957: Marvin Minsky's patent (Very similar to Koana-Naora instrument in terms of point illumination and point detection)

1975: Oxford optoelectronics established

1977: First use of term 'confocal' in journal article...CJR Sheppard, A Choudhury, Optica Acta, 24, 1051-1073 (1977)..which as Guy had pointed out earlier was earlier called Type-2 scanning optical microscope.. The excerpt from abstract:

"It has been shown that there are two geometries of the [scanning optical] microscope, which have been designated Type 1 and Type 2. ...  those of Type 2 (confocal microscopes) ... "

Cheers
shalin

On Nov 8, 2007 12:35 PM, Guy Cox < [hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Dubilier was then bought by Polaron  who in turn were taken over by
>> Bio-Rad.
>>
>>  The SOM 100 was a stage-scanning machine using a  He-Ne laser and
>> was intended for reflection imaging,  so it found little use in
>> biology.  Bio-Rad soon  dumped it in favour of Brad Amos' MRC design,
>> which  had biological imaging as its first priority.  This  caused
>> some grief to the Oxford team who had developed  the SOM - and just
>> to rub salt into the wound it was  a design from Cambridge which
>> supplanted it!
>>
>>                                                Guy
>>
>>  Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
>>  by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
>>      http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
>>  Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)  Electron Microscope
>> Unit, Madsen Building F09,  University of Sydney, NSW 2006
>>  Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682

My co-ordinates:
Shalin Mehta, Graduate student
Graduate Programme in Bioengineering, NUS, Singapore
Mobile: +65 90694182
Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal
A couple of footnotes to Shalin's timeline:

Nobody really seemed to know what had happened to Hiroto Naora
since that pioneering work - and then we discovered that he was
working (at an age when most of us would be retired) at the
Australian National University in Canberra.  So he gave an
invited talk on his work at the 2000 Australian Microscopy
conference in Canberra.  It was absolutely fascinating and one
can only wonder at the difficulties he must have faced doing
such work in immediately post-war Japan.  Colin and I talked to
him afterwards and he was very definite that it was his research,
and Koana was just his supervisor.

I have a micrograph I use in my lectures which shows the Schwarzschild-
Villiger effect rather well - in a bright-field fluorescence image of a leaf
you can also see the (non-fluorescent) cell walls by the light they scatter
from the fluorescent chloroplasts - in the confocal they are (of course)
not seen.  People often forget that this is an additional benefit of confocal
imaging.

Some years back I was involved in a lengthy email exchange with Marvin
Minsky on historical aspects of confocal, in particular patent issues.  Then
I asked him if he was aware of Naora's work (which was, after all, published
in leading US journals).  I never heard another word from Marvin.

[...]

1955: Hiroto Naora (Koana's junior collegue) publishes results based on this method...(H. Naora, Microspectrophotometry of cell nucleus stained by Feulgen reaction I. Microspectrophotometric apparatus without Schwarzschild-Villiger effect, <A href="javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'Exp Cell Res.');">Exp Cell Res. 1955 Apr;8(2):259-78.)

Guy Cox Guy Cox

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Re: First commercial single point confocal
Quite correct.  But their LSM44 was not the first non-confocal scanning
optical microscope.  That goes back much earlier to 1950 (prototype)
and 1953 (commercial).  Nevertheless it was obviously a very useful
background for Zeiss to develop their first confocal.  However the LSM10
was not very good.  The hardware was basic but functional but the software
was primitive beyond belief.  Given that the MRC500 had really good
hardware and software (within what was possible in 1897) Zeiss had to
move fast to get into the market - and of course they did just that.

Ian Dobbie-2 Ian Dobbie-2

Guy Cox <[hidden email]> writes:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=
> confocal
> was primitive beyond belief.  Given that the MRC500 had really good
> hardware and software (within what was possible in 1897) Zeiss had to
                                                     ^^^^
Wow BioRad go back a lot further than I thought!

;-)

Ian
Shalin Mehta Shalin Mehta

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Hi Everyone,

 I didn't get it all right...Here are further notes by Colin

Dear Shalin, almost correct! Actually wedeveloped the Oxford confocal in 1975 but Oxford Opto wasn't started till 1982, with SOM25. In 1984 rights were assigned to Dubilier. They introduced the name Lasersharp. In 1986 rights were transferred to BioRad, who bought the Lasersharp factory in Abingdon. Polaron was a subsidiary of BioRad in UK.
With regard to papers on confocal fluorescence there was Ingemar Cox, JMicrosc 1983? Then Brakenhoff and van Resandt. Latter started Heidelberg instruments who also launched early confocal 1985?  This was later taken over by Leica. Another paper was Carlsson optics letters 1985?

Colin

On Nov 8, 2007 4:26 PM, Guy Cox <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

1955: Hiroto Naora (Koana's junior collegue) publishes results based on this method...(H. Naora, Microspectrophotometry of cell nucleus stained by Feulgen reaction I. Microspectrophotometric apparatus without Schwarzschild-Villiger effect, Exp Cell Res. 1955 Apr;8(2):259-78.)

Mobile: +65 90694182
Eric Scarfone Eric Scarfone

Re: First commercial single point confocal

Dear all,
It would be really nice to have the whole inside story straightened up
someday!
A clear distinction should be made also between stage-scanning and
beam-scanning. In this respect which was the fisrt beam-scanner?

Concerning Sarastro, since I am now located in Sweden I contacted Kjell
Carlsson couldn't recall. Niels Alsund, then president of Sarastro, says
that the commercial company was founded in 1986 and sold its first set
up the same year here at the Karolinska Institutet. The prototype
however was running before that (probably at KTH where Kjell worked?)
but I got no dates on that!
Best Whishes to all.

12